Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Break Our Hearts


I watched a video of a big, beautiful, grey pit bull being rescued.  My heart sank when I realized she had been dumped by her owners and just left there to fend for herself.  You could tell she was very healthy, and the video showed her nuzzling in to the rescuers.  She just wanted to be loved.
I cried at this video.  Yes, I cry at a lot of things, but this really got me.  It cut me deep for a few reasons. 

First of all, I will never understand how people can be so heartless.  This is just one example of what is wrong with people.  It overflows into how people treat other people as well.  In every decision I make, I try to consider the feelings of others.  How will this affect my kids?  My husband?  My friend?  How would I feel if I was the homeless person sitting outside the Valero and everyone just kept walking by me?  I try to put myself in others' shoes, and I feel that this is what it takes for people to just care more.  I fail at times.  I make bad decisions that hurt those around me, but it kills me when I do.  I hurt when I hurt those around me...You see, I think people have gotten so wrapped up in self that they have simply turned a blind eye to the fact that their words and their actions DO affect others.  When you lie, you are damaging another person, even if you get a way with the lie.  When you cheat, you sever any trust in a relationship.  When you talk down to others, you break their spirit.  When you walk out on your family, you cause abandonment issues, distrust, and heartbreak.  When you leave a dog on the side of the road, you cause them to doubt humanity.

Secondly, this dog, once she realized the rescuers were good people not trying to hurt her, she buried her head into the chest of one of the men.  After being abandoned, she still just wanted to be loved.  She just wanted a kind touch and some reassurance that everything would be okay.  Friends, I believe deep down, that is what we all want.  This is why it hurts so much when those you love break your trust, hurt your feelings, or abandon you.  I also think this is why I love animals so much.  They don't break that relationship once it's formed; as a matter of fact, many animals will fight to defend those they love.  Their love is pure, honest, and unadulterated. 

So my prayer today is that our heart would be broken for those around us.  That we would be able to treat others with the love and respect they deserve, and that we would learn to put our selves last.  In essence, I pray we can learn to love one another the way a loyal pet loves its humans. 
 

I just cannot imagine what a beautiful place we would live in if our priority was figuring out how we can better love those around us. 


John 13:34-35
A New commandment I give you: Love one another.  As I have loved you, so also you must love one another.  By this all men will know that you are My disciplines, if you love one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher Confession

Can I make a confession?  Please don't tell anyone I work with though.... I'm not doing what I'm "supposed to do" in...