Monday, July 31, 2017

Life Changes

I'm not sure if it's because I grew up in the military or if it's just my personality, but change isn't something scary to me.  I have always welcomed it, even longed for it at times. 

The latest major change came when I felt that I was being led to quit my job as a teacher.  I was completing my 8th year as a teacher and was simply struggling to find joy in my career choice anymore.  I could go in to detail, but that would be another blog in and of itself.  To summarize, I was tired of politics involved, of all the demands beyond teaching, and of nasty parents. 

After much discussion, my husband and I decided this was what I should do.  I had a friend who told me about a company needing teachers to work with homeschooled kids, just one day a week.  I agreed to this, but had many concerns that I just couldn't shake.  There wouldn't be any benefits, I'd basically be an independent contractor.  Very little stability etc. 

Then I had the opportunity to completely leave the education industry and venture out into a world I have never known.  I accepted a job as a project engineer for a commercial general contractor...the company is the same one with which my husband is a superintendent. 

My husband's dream has always been to have his own construction company.  Maybe now I will be able to one day help him run the company effectively. 

The learning curve is astronomical as I know little about the industry.  My motivation is sky high though.  For the first time in many years, I am excited about my future and the opportunities I now have. 

 So, don't be afraid of change.  Sometimes these changes can bring about more joy in your life than you ever imagined.  Don't settle for a job you aren't happy with because there is one out there that is a perfect fit for you.  And sometimes, it's in a place you'd never expect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher Confession

Can I make a confession?  Please don't tell anyone I work with though.... I'm not doing what I'm "supposed to do" in...