Monday, January 28, 2019

Mommy, I'm handsome

I never thought hearing those words would matter so much to me. But, in a world full of people who tear each other down, who can't live up to pressing expectations, who look to all the wrong places for identity confirmation, these words brought tears to my eyes.

My oldest son has always struggled with self confidence.  He's always been a little timid to try things from fear of failure.  He has always been very modest and HATES to take off his shirt, even at the pool or beach, unless there is another kid around without a shirt on who isn't bone skinny.  My oldest son is a beautiful soul both inside and out, but I have been able to tell for a long time now that he hasn't quite felt up to par on many things, including his looks.

So, when he walked up to me, grabbed my hand, and said, "Mommy.  I didn't used to think I'm handsome, but now I realize that I am," it took all I had not to cry right there.  I asked him what made him realize this, and he told me he used to think he wasn't handsome because of his chubby cheeks, but now when he looks in the mirror, he can see he is.  My heart smiled, and I reminded him that his chubby, freckled cheeks are one of the things that I THINK make him most handsome. 

The smile on his face was priceless.  The feeling in my heart couldn't be matched.  My son was feeling good about himself for once, and he felt the need to share that with me. 

I pray over him that he hold on to this scripture and know that simply being the child of God is what makes him so handsome (but he has also been blessed with some good looks and a kind heart too!)

Psalm 139:14 "...I am fearfully and wonderfully made"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teacher Confession

Can I make a confession?  Please don't tell anyone I work with though.... I'm not doing what I'm "supposed to do" in...